To serve white asparagus with hollandaise sauce is one of the classic dishes in Germany. Wrapped with ham, this white asparagus promises to be a taste sensation.
Spargelzeit is a big highlight in the German culinary calendar. You will find little huts on the side of the road selling both white and green asparagus, there will be festivals, a Spargel (asparagus) queen will be crowned and you will find Spargel at every restaurant offering it as a seasonal specialty.
I have been lucky. My Mama came to visit me in London and in her suitcase she packed some fresh German Asparagus. Yay! This means I can post an asparagus recipe after all.
The traditional way we eat it in Germany is wrapped in smoked ham and served with potatoes and Hollandaise sauce.
This is the first time that I made Hollandaise sauce from scratch and i was surprised how easy it was. Until.... Beware I tried to heat it up in the microwave the next day! Do not try this! It will separate and ruin the sauce!
Below you can see the steps I used to prepare the Hollandaise Sauce.
Source: Essen & Trinken
German Asparagus with Hollandaise Sauce
- 200 g butter
- 4 egg yolks
- 50 ml white wine
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1 kg white asparagus
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 table spoon sugar
- 20 g butter
- Melt the butter for the sauce in a saucepan until it browns and you can see a slight foam developing.
- Sieve the scum off with a cheesecloth.
- In a heatproof bowl mix together the lemon juice, wine, and egg yolks.
- Place into a water-bath and mix until the ingredients blend into a creamy mixture.
- Slowly, first in drips and then in a small constant stream add the butter to the mixture.
- Season the mixture with some salt and pepper and then leave in the water bath to keep warm.
- Peal the asparagus and remove the wooden ends.
- Bring a pot of water with salt, butter and sugar to boil
- Divide the asparagus to 2 bunches of 500 g each and tie together with some kitchen string.
- Add the asparagus and cooking for about 15-17 minutes on medium heat, with the lid kept on.
- Drain the asparagus, remove the string and place on a plate.
- I like to wrap my asparagus with some German smoked ham and served it with boiled potatoes and the sauce.