In my house we love baked cod. It's one of our quick and easy mid-week dinners as it does not need very much preparation; can be cooked from frozen and is generally very healthy. We try to eat fish at least once a week. Mostly we go for simple; economical and sustainable sourced fish which tends to be salmon and cod.
I did not bake this code recipe as a mid-week dinner but for my parents on Good Friday. My mother told me that she wants to have fish for lunch and I was sourcing around her kitchen looking for ingredients to cook with... and after findings some fresh tomatoes and some parmesan cheese this is what I came up with.
Maybe this is not the best food photography I have ever done, but the recipe is too good not to share with you. I am sure I will find some time to reshoot it. It's hard to spend time photographing when you have an impatient hungry family calling you from a set dinner table 🙂 I simply served it with some salted potatoes and a side salad.
Baked Cod on Fresh Tomatoes and a Garlic Parmesan Crust
- 2 cloves of garlic pressed
- 10 g parmesan cheese grated
- 1 tsp thyme
- 60 g butter
- 35 g breadcrumbs
- 6 medium sized tomatoes sliced
- 5 table spoons olive oil
- 600 g cod or any other white fish
- 2 table spoons plain flour
- In a bowl combine the garlic, parmesan, thyme, butter and breadcrumbs. Season with salt and pepper.
- Lay the tomato slices out on the bottom of a large casserole dish. Season with salt and pepper and some thyme. Drizzle a bit of olive oil on each tomato slice.
- Wash the fish, dry it off with a paper towel and quickly toss it around in the flour. Heat 1 table spoon of olive oil in a large pan and fry the fish on each side for about a minute. Remove from pan and place the fish on top of the tomatoes.
- Now spread the herb-bread mix evenly on fish. Place the casserole dish in the pre-heated oven and bake for about 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- Garnish with some fresh thyme or parsley