Do you love chicken wraps and Middle Eastern food? Then you are going to adore this Lebanese Chicken marinade with Lime and Mint. It is simply sublime and so quick an easy to put together.
I became immediately excited when I found this recipe. I discovered it in a little pamphlet on Lebanese cuisine that my mum gave me. It's in German and called "Libanesische Küche" bei Ann Wilson.
It is no longer in print, so I am super excited that I get the opportunity to share it with you.
Flavours of this Lebanese Chicken Marinade
Like so many Lebanese Chicken recipes this marinade has a very subtle and very refreshing taste. As you know many Lebanese recipes use lemon as one of the key ingredients. Although Lime and Lemon have similarities in terms of shape and texture, they differ in taste.
Lemons are slightly sweeter and less acidy then lime which tastes more bitter. Nevertheless with the mint it created a great flavour combination.
Chicken Marinade Ingredients
It is crazy that such a flavoursome marinade only has 5 ingredients:
- Lime Juice
- Ground Coriander
- Ground Cumin
How to cook the chicken for your chicken wrap
There are two ways you can cook the chicken:
- Fry the chicken bits in a frying pan
- Add them to a skewer and place on a charcoal grill.
I opted for the later, as I live in a flat in London and BBQs are prohibited. I hope you are luckier than me.
How to make the Lebanese chicken wrap?
I used pita bread that I had baked the day before. You can find them in the supermarket and Arabic shops. Spread some hummus on the bread, lay the chicken on top and fold into a tight wrap. You can also add some pickled turnip and tomatoes into the wrap.
You will quickly fall in love with the contrasts in flavours. This recipe if one of the best Lebanese chicken wrap recipes I have come across.
Can I prepare this chicken wrap in advance?
This Lebanese chicken wrap makes the perfect light lunch for work. East the wrap the same day you make it. When storing make sure it is kept in the fridge.
The chicken can be marinated up to two days in advance. Once cooked the chicken will stay good in the fridge for two days. Store in an airtight container.
Lebanese Chicken Marinade with Mint and Lime
- 4 chicken breasts or chicken fillets around 400 gr or 14 oz
- 2 tsp olive oil
For the marinade!
- 1 juice of one lime
- 1 tsp ground corriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp tumeric
- 1 handful fresh chopped mint
For the chicken wrap
- 4 pita breads
- 1 tub hummus or plain tahini sauce
- Cut the meat into about 1,5 cm thing stripes.
- Mix the marinade in a little bowl.
- Add the meat and toss it in the mixture.
- Cover with some clingfilm, place in the fridge and leave the rest for a couple of hours or if you want overnight.
- Drain the meat but make sure you reserve the marinade
- In a big frying pan heat up the olive oil. Fry the meat at medium temperature for about 5- 10 minutes and then pour the leftover marinade on the chicken.
- Alterantivley you can grill the meat on the BBQ.
- Serve with pita bread and hummus