Cakes now a days have to be relatively quick and simple for me. Gone are the days where I could wait for fix to rise; chocolate to melt and butter to soften. This is because I never know just how long my 9 week old baby is going to nap for.
As I mentioned in previous posts what really distinguishes German cakes is the use of fresh fruit. Cake baking is often seasonal and accompanied by a cup of coffee - the traditional "Kaffee und Kuchen".
I bought this group to my NCT meeting. For those of you who do not know it - NCT stands for National Child Trust and offers antenatal classes here in the UK. I loved it because it gave me the chance to meet other first-time parents who lived nearby and were giving birth around the same time as me.
The cake is wonderfully refreshing and has the right balance between the sweet strawberries and rich chocolate base. It's not too sweet but will satisfy your chocolate cravings. Best served with some fresh whipped cream. Oh and note that the cake has gelatin in it, so it is not suitable for strict vegetarians.
Chocolate and Strawberry Cake
- hand or stand mixer
- two mixing bowls
- 25 cm cake ring
- 4 large eggs
- 80 g sugar
- 30 g cocoa powder sieved
- 100 g plain flour sieved
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 800 g fresh strawberries
- juice of 1 lemon
- some butter or margarine for greasing the baking form
- Preheat your oven to 150 degrees.
- Grease a cake form with some butter and place into the fridge.
- Seperate the eggs and with a handmixer whisk the egg white with half the sugar until stiff.
- In a seperate bowl mix the other half of the sugar, hot water and egg yolks until it achieve a nice foamy consistancy.
- Add the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder to the egg yolk mixture and mix to a smooth dough.
- Carfully fold in the stiff egg whites. Add to a 25 cm cake ring. Now bake the base in the oven for about 30 minutes. Leave to cool.
- Wash the strawberries and remove the stem. Add the lemon juice to the gelatin and sugar.
- Decorate the chocolate base with the strawberries and then pour the gelatine lemon mixture over and wait to set.