German Carrot Salad (Karottensalat)
A delicious grated carrot salad with apple. This easy carrot salad recipe is vegan and gluten free.
Servings 4 people
- 400 g carrots 9 oz ( about 5 large carrots)
- 1 apple tart
For the carrot salad dressing
- 2 tablespoon sunflower oil or any other plant based oil
- 2 tablespoon cider vinegar alternativley use white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar alternatively use an alternative sweetener such as honey or sugar replacement
To serve (optional)
- 2 tablespoon fresh herbs such as chives or parsley
- 2 tablespoon seeds or nuts such as sunflower or pumpkin seeds, walnuts or hazelnuts.
Peel the carrots and remove the stalk.
Peel and core the apple
Using a hand grater or a kitchen machine, shred the carrot into thin strips. You do want to keep some texture in the carrots so make you do not shred them too fine.
Now let’s create the salad dressing for the shredded carrot. In a separate bowl mix the sunflower oil, vinegar, lemon juice and sugar.
Pour the vinaigrette over the shredded carrots and apples.
Season with salt and pepper.
Leave to marinate for at least an hour for the flavours to immerse.
Before serving you can optionally sprinkle the salad with some fresh herbs such as parsley or chives. You can also top the salad with some nuts, seeds, or raisins. Serve cold.
Calories: 134kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Sodium: 71mg | Potassium: 389mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 16899IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 39mg | Iron: 1mg