A easy recipe - this classic German cake is a hit at every birthday party. This cake is easy to transport, easy to make and easy to eat.
Servings 6 people
- 5 eggs at room temperature
- 200 g sugar 1 cup or 8.8 oz
- 2 teaspoon vanilla sugar 1 packet or alternativley ½ a teaspoon vanilla extract
- 350 gr flour 3 cups or 12.3 oz (Germany type 405, UK plain flour, USA pastry flour )
- 125 ml vegetable oil 4.2 fl oz
- 200 ml fanta orange flavour 6.7 fl oz
For the icing
- 200 g icing (confectioners) sugar 2 cups or 7 oz
- 25 ml fanta orange flavour 0.8 fl oz
- sprinkles of your choice
Preheat the oven to 175°C or 347°F
Whisk the flour and baking powder together in a bowl. Set aside.
With a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle or whisk attachment, beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla sugar on high speed in a large bowl until smooth and frothy. About 2 minutes
Add the flour mixture and oil in small amounts. Alternating between the two. Mix at medium speed until combined.
Pour in the 200 ml fanta. Stir in with a wooden spoon. Do not stir too much as the fanta might become flat.
Pour into the prepared baking tray and bake for around 20-25 minutes. The cake is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Leave to cool
Sieve the icing sugar into a bowl. With a whisk - add the fanta in little portions, while stirring throughout. Once you achieve a thick and creamy mixture spread the icing over the cake with a palette knife of the back of the spoon.
Finally cover in sprinkles and leave the icing to set.
Calories: 730kcal | Carbohydrates: 117g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 13g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 136mg | Sodium: 56mg | Potassium: 114mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 71g | Vitamin A: 198IU | Calcium: 30mg | Iron: 3mg