We are getting married soon and we are trying to make our own wedding flower vases through recycling old jars. We have been eating a lot of gherkins, grilled peppers & ... beetroot.
My mission for the last few weeks has been to find recipes with the jar ingredients which are nice and not too similar, as I get bored easily.
The other day I saw in the Guardian a picture of beetroot hummus and decided to it seems a fun way to use our jar of beetroot. This recipe used half a jar of beetroot but what was I to do with the rest?
That is where I saw some inspiration for a broad bean, beetroot and goats cheese salad; which was quite fitting as last night was the first warm night of the summer:
Beetroot Hummus recipe:
250g beetroot from a jar
1 x 400g can chickpeas
3 tbsp tahini
Juice of 2 lemons
1 tsp ground coriander
3 large garlic cloves, crushed
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp sesame seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1. Roughly chop the beetroot and place in the food processor with the tahini, drained chickpeas, lemon juice, coriander and crushed garlic and blend it.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large heavy frying pan and fry the sesame and cumin seeds, stirring continuously, for no more than 2 minutes and then add them to the mixture.
Finished! Super easy. We had it with some pitta and homemade falafel.
Beetroot, Broad bean and Goats cheese Recipe
4-5g beetroot from a jar
Half a packet of Frozen Broad beans
Half a pack of soft Goats cheese
For the dressing:
a few fresh mint leaves from the garden or balcony
a few fresh thyme leaves from the garden or balcony
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tsp dijon mustard
1 tsp honey
(I think some crushed walnuts would go well but I did not have any)
1. Chop the beetroot, and let the broad beans defrost in some boiling water. Chop or divide the goats cheese into little chunks and mix them all in a bowl.
2. Mix all the ingredients for the dressing and finished!
2. Chop the herbs and add all the dressing ingredients